Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Domino fun!

Well it's National Craft Month and we want you to try creating some new things this March!

Thought I would share an easy project today - if you have some spare dominoes around the house you might feel like giving this a go! I started out with an ordinary domino...
...and turned it over so I could use the blank side....
I inked up a Tim Holtz ink applicator with some coordinating alcohol inks ('bottle' and metallic gold)...
...and applied them to the domino all over...
...after leaving this to dry, using black StaZon ink, I stamped on an image of a fairy from a Dovecraft fairy flourish set...


...I added some Hero Arts gems...

...and varnished with some Mod Podge...

...and hey presto! A card topper, a necklace, a charm, an embellishment...
...you choose! I love what you can do with these - you can even use them to emphasise patterns on the project you are working on by printing part of the image you're working on onto the domino so that it appears raised. I would recommend using more permanent inks (such as alcohol inks and StazOn) for this project and then varnishing on top - even with the permanent inks, they can easily be scratched on the surface of the domino.

Happy crafting!

Gayle

8 Scrappy thoughts:

humel said...

Ooh, that is lovely :-) I don't have dominoes but I do have bamboo tiles - yay!! New project here I come!! ;-)

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love dominoes! I actually just made up a dozen domino pins for my son's high school baseball team. I'm selling them for $5 each as a fundraiser.
Rinda

Cherry said...

What a great technique and effect Gayle. Love the colours and stamp you have chosen. Hugs Cherry XXX

Diana Joy said...

Cute idea. thanks.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! That is just lovely. Who knew a domino could be turned into a such a gem. Great technique.

dianapena8 said...

What an awesome project Gayle, I wish I wasn't so intimidated by alcohol inks =Di

Heather Landry said...

That is such an amazing technique! I'm hunting for dominoes now! LOL

Lynn said...

Just beautiful :)